Roedean Gap, a shallow dip in the cliffs between Ovingdean Gap and Black Rock, was once the site of a toll-gate on the Newhaven turnpike. The valley known as Roedean Bottom runs north from the gap. The Roedean estate which was first developed in the 1930s, is now one of Brighton’s most exclusive residential districts and has a population of around 600. White Lodge a small house built on The Cliff by Sir Edward Lutyens for Victoria Sackville has a terrace of herringbone-style vertically laid floor tiles in the garden in part laid by the architect himself.
The East Brighton Golf Club, formerly The Kemp Town Golf Club in Roedean Road was founded in 1893. Past presidents include Earl Haig, the Earl of Chichester, the Marquess of Abergavenny and the Duke of Norfolk. There is also a miniature golf-course and a pitch-and-putt golf course between the estate and the cliff top.
Roedean School, the imposing independent girls’ school in the cliff top above the South Coast Road. It has students from many parts of the world is amongst the most expensive schools in the UK.