High Street (South) / Lower High Street (formerly Manor Terrace)
The preceding page contains two more Wardell cards – photographed from almost the same spot. The old White Horse Hotel was demolished in 1934 and rebuilt. The lower picture gives a good side-on view of St Margaret’s Flats, erected in 1938. The protest against them prompted the formation of Rottingdean Preservation Society.
The above view of Manor Terrace shows the Star of the Sea Convent (with portico) on the left in 1919. Today’s picture of this part of the village illustrates how popular and busy it is.
To convey the coffin of Rottingdean-born folk singer and writer, Bob Copper, round the village on 17 April 2004, a trolley and horses were used. They were loaned by the late David Baker, a farmer from Ovingdean, seen here on the left. Also holding the horses, Diamond (left) and Chantney is Gus Kitson, a Suffolk farmer.
The small row of shops in the lower picture is only just visible in the modern photograph. Manor House, on the corner, fell victim to the scheme to widen the coast road in the mid-1930s. Demolition has already taken place on the south-east corner of the High Street.
The Old and New White Horse
The south frontage of the old White Horse Hotel, showing part of Manor Terrace viewed from the west. The White Horse has until recently always been a terminus for buses to and from Brighton, whether horse-drawn or motorised.
The lower picture shows little major change to the former residential properties (including the Convent of the Star of the Sea) save for their ground-floor conversion to business use.
Copyright © Douglas d’Enno, 2009
All rights reserved. No part of this book may be reprinted or reproduced or utilised in any form or by any electronic, mechanical or other means, now known or hereafter invented, including photocopying and recording, or in any information storage or retrieval system, without the permission in writing from the Publishers.